• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland



  • On this page, we explain who can obtain a Polish passport, what are the different types of Polish passports, how to apply for a passport, and to collect a passport that is ready as well as what the PESEL number is.



    A Polish passport can be issued to any Polish citizen. Your Polish citizenship is confirmed by a valid Polish passport, identity card or certificate of citizenship. If you do not have any of these documents, you may be asked to apply for your certificate of citizenship first. Children under 18 years of age whose at least one parent is Polish citizen are eligible for a Polish passport on the basis of their parent’s passport, identity card or certificate of citizenship. In case of doubt, please contact us.



    Polish citizens are issued regular passports containing biometric data or temporary passports.

    Biometric passports contain a microchip, which includes a saved picture of the passport holder and of her/his fingerprints. They are valid for 10 years for holders aged 13 and over and five years for children under 13 years of age. The waiting time for customers applying at our consulate is approximately 2 months as all the biometric passports are printed in Poland.

    Temporary passports do not contain biometric features. Their validity cannot exceed 12 months. You can apply for a temporary passport:

    - while waiting for your regular passport to be delivered,

    - when you lost your passport while travelling and need a document allowing your return to your permanent place of residence,

    - when requested in urgent cases such as illness or funeral of your family member, or your business activity. Temporary passports can be issued on the same day they have been requested.

    All types of Polish passport will allow you to enter Canada without a visa. You may need an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) before travelling to Canada. Dual citizens, holding both Polish and Canadian nationality, should use respectively their Polish passport when entering Poland ant the Canadian one when entering Canada.



    You can submit your passport application in person at the consulate or during a consular outreach session outside Toronto. In very rare and exceptional circumstances, an application for a temporary passport may be submitted by mail.

    For children under 18 years of age, both parents or legal guardians should be present at the submitting of the application, otherwise a certified written consent of the parent or legal guardian who is absent is required. All children aged 5 or over must be present at the submitting of  their passport application.

    To apply for a passport, you must provide:


    • a passport application form, available at the consulate, and filled out in Polish in print letters. Only original applications are accepted - it is not possible to download the form from the Internet, or to send it by email;
    • your or your child’s PESEL number, as applicable. If you don’t have a PESEL number, see below;
    • one color photo, as described here (our requirements for passport photos are similar as those for Canadian passports) ;
    • your or your child’s previous passport or other proof of Polish citizenship. If your last Polish passport has expired, you will need to produce another valid Polish or foreign document with a photo to confirm your identity. Holders of expired Polish passports who do not have another valid document confirming their Polish citizenship may be required to apply for certificate of citizenship before their passport application is accepted. Parents or legal guardians applying for a passport for a minor, must produce their valid identity documents with a photo. When applying for the first passport for a child, at least one of the parents must produce a valid document confirming their Polish citizenship.
    • documents entitling to discounts. A 50% discount on the price of a regular passport shall be granted to retirees, people with disabilities, their fully dependent spouses, residents of social assistance homes and care facilities, people benefitting from social assistance, people benefitting from Polish combatant and repressed persons’ laws, as well as children and students up to 26 years of age.



    A passport may only be collected in the same consular post where the application was submitted. In consequence, if you submit your passport application at our consulate, will be not able to send your passport to another Polish consular post under any circumstances. You should collect your passport in person as we double check the accuracy of biometric features and personal information at the collection of the passport. Passports issued to minors under the age of 18 can be collected by one of the parents or legal guardians. In some cases, particularly when your access to the consular post is hindered, we can mail your passport to you. You should declare your request to have your passport mailed to you when submitting your application, as you will be requested to sign a waiver form and deliver a prepaid return envelope that we will use to send your passport to you when it is ready.



    PESEL is a universal statistical number assigned to all Polish residents and citizens applying for a Polish identity document. It has been issued since 1979 so if you lived in Poland after that year, you may have one and we will be able to check it for you. If you were born outside Poland and/or have never got your PESEL number, we will apply for it for you when you submit your passport application. A copy of your Polish civil status document (birth or marriage certificate) confirming your actual name and family name will be required. If your birth has never been registered in Poland, you will be requested to apply for registration of your birth certificate in Poland. If the name and/or family name you currently use differ from your Polish civil state document, in consequence of marriage, divorce, change of name or other circumstances that took place outside Poland, you must have the records kept in Poland adjusted by applying for registration of your marriage, recognition of your divorce or change of name or formal change of name in Poland, as applicable. In case of doubt, please contact us.

    Print Print Share: