• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland



  • On this page we explain what the Schengen Area is, who needs a visa to enter Poland, how to apply for a visa at a Polish consulate and what you can expect while crossing the border of the Schengen Area.



    Schengen Area


    Poland is a part of the Schengen Area, a group of 26 European countries that have abolished passport and immigration controls at their common borders. The Schengen Area countries are: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland (not a European Union Member State), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein (not a European Union Member State), Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway (not a European Union Member State), Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland (not a European Union Member State).


    Do I need a visa?


    Canadian citizens

    Canadian citizens are allowed to enter and remain in Poland without a visa for up to 90 days within a six months period no matter what the purpose of the visit is (tourism, study, work, business, etc.). A work permit might be required to work legally in Poland even if a visa is not required. If you intend to stay in Poland for more than 90 days, you will need to apply for a visa at a Polish consulate before your departure or request a resident permit at the Voivodship authority once you arrive in Poland without a visa.


    Non-Canadian citizens

    If you are not a Canadian citizen, you might need a visa to enter Poland. Check here if you are allowed to travel to Poland without a visa. If your country is not mentioned on the list, you need a visa to enter and remain in Poland. If you intend to work in Poland, you will need to apply for your visa at the Polish consulate in your country of residence. In case of doubt, please contact us.


    Family members of European Union citizens

    Family members of citizens of the European Union, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland  who accompany or join them while they move to or reside in a European Union member state other than their state of origin and need a visa, are issued their visas free of charge and through an accelerated procedure. As a general rule, this facilitation applies to spouses, dependent children aged below 21 or dependent parents of the citizen of the European Union or their spouse.


    In order to take advantage of this facilitation and to support your visa application you should bring a European Union passport of your family member, an original copy of your civil status document showing that you are a family member of a European Union citizen and a proof of your family member moving to or residing in a European Union other that their state of origin. You will not need to submit any further documents regarding the purpose of travel and means of subsistence.


    Visa application


    When to apply for a visa at a Polish consulate?

    You can apply for a visa at a Polish consulate only if Poland is your principal destination or you are going to stay in other Schengen Area states for equal periods of time and Poland is your first point of entry.


    How to apply for a visa?

    Every visa application must be filled out and filed through our on-line registration system available at: Once you have filled out your application form, you have to print it, sign it, and deliver it in person to our office on your scheduled appointment date no sooner than 3 months and no later than 15 business days before your planned entry into the Schengen Area.

    Visa applications for minors should be signed by the parents (legal guardians).

    An applicant may be invited to an interview with the consul any time before the decision is made.


    Types of visas

    Depending on the length of your stay in Poland or in the Schengen Area, you may apply for:

    • a Schengen visa, if you intend to stay in the Schengen Area for no longer than 90 days within a six month period starting from your first entry into the Schengen Area, or if you need to transit the Schengen Area to reach a third country;
    • a national visa, if you intend to stay in Poland for more than 90 days and less than 1 year starting from your first entry into the Schengen Area. Holders of a national visa are allowed to travel within the Schengen Area for 90 days within a six month period starting from their departure from the state granting the national visa;
    • an airport transit visa (ATV), if you are a citizen of one of the following states: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sudan, Sri Lanka.
      Holders of an airport transit visa are not allowed to leave the airport transit area while staying in a Schengen Area state. Holders of a valid resident permit issued by Canada or a Schengen Member State are exempt from ATV obligation even if they are citizens of an above mentioned state.

    If you intend to stay in Poland for a period longer than a year, you will need a resident permit. You can ask for more information and apply for a resident permit at the Voivodship Office (Urząd Wojewódzki) in Poland.


    List of supporting documents to be submitted by applicants for short stay visas in Canada


    Part I: General requirements


    1. Proof of legal residence in Canada and re-entry document


    • For travellers returning to Canada:

    A Canadian permanent residence card or visa (valid for at least three months after the date of re-entry).


    • For travellers proceeding to onward travel (not returning to Canada), after leaving the territory of the Member States:

    Travel reservation (plane/train ticket) and relevant visa or travel document authorising entry into the country of destination.

    2.         Proof of travel arrangements


    A round trip flight/travel reservation or other proof of intended transport and full itinerary, if the visit concerns several Member States and Member States not applying the common visa policy.


    3.         Proof of sufficient means of subsistence for the intended journey

    • Bank account statement(s) during the last three months clearly indicating the name of the bank account holder(s); or other proof of funds such as:

    a) recent bank account statements showing movements over a certain period (at least the last three months);

    b) credit card(s) and a credit card account statement clearly indicating the cardholder’s name;

    c) traveller’s cheques;

    d) salary slips;

    e) certificate of employment;

    f) registered proof of sponsorship and/or private accommodation.


    • Travelling for the purpose of business: If applicable, letter stating that all expenses are fully covered (e.g. a written proof that the employer/company sponsor pays the expenses).
    • In case of self-employment: business registration and/or proof of funds.
    • Students/researchers, if applicable, letter stating that all expenses are fully covered.

    4.         Minors travelling without parents/guardians or with one parent/guardian only

    Consent of the parent(s) or the legal guardian(s).

    Part II — Documents to be submitted depending on purpose

    1.         Tourism

    • Individuals: confirmed hotel reservations, stating the name, address and telephone number of the hotel, including the booking confirmation number.

    –    Groups: the letter of the travel agency mentioning the same information as for individuals, or other proof of accommodation (e.g. rental agreement).

    2.         Visiting family and friends

    –    Invitation letter from the friend/relative (some Member States may require that a specific form be used for the invitation letter — cf. information by the Member State concerned).

    –    Copy of the ID card (national or residence permit) of the friend/relative.

    3.         Business

    –      An invitation letter from the business partner specifying the nature of the business (some Member States may require that a specific form be used (cf. information by the Member State concerned).

    –      Reference letter from the employer; and

    –      Confirmed accommodation if different from the hotel, stating the name, address and telephone number of the accommodation.

    4.         Students/researchers

    –      Letter from the receiving institution on the length and purpose of the stay;

    –      Letter from the home institution on enrolment; and

    –      Confirmed accommodation.


    The visa applicants are requested to present original documents as well as their photocopies. The originals will be returned to you.


    How long shall I wait for the decision?

    Normally, the decision should be issued within 15 days.


    How much does it cost?

    The fee is 96 CAD for a visa of any type (Schengen visa, national visa, airport transit visa).

    You can pay cash, certified cheque, or a Money Order only. Credit cards, debit cards, and personal cheques are not accepted.

    Family members of a European Union citizen - free of charge.

    Should you be refused a visa, the fees will not be reimbursed.


    What if I am refused a visa?

    If your visa application is refused, you may be able to appeal against the decision. You can request to have your application reviewed at the consulate within 7 days of the decision issued. The final decision will be issued within 15 days from your appeal.

    The processing fee is approximately 96 CAD.


    Entering the Schengen Area


    What do I need to have at the border?

    • your valid passport or another travel document recognized by the Polish authorities and a visa (if applicable);
    • proof of sufficient means of subsistence (100 PLN – approximately 35 CAD per day);
    • health insurance certificate covering the entire period of your stay in the Schengen Zone with a minimum value of 30,000 EUR (approximately 50,000 CAD).


    Will I be allowed into Schengen Area?

    Even if you have obtained a Polish visa or you are a visa exempt citizen, you may be refused admission into Poland by the Polish Border Guard. It can happen for a series of reasons, for example; if the purpose of travel you declared is not compliant with the actual one, if your means of subsistence are not sufficient or you have no right to enter the state of your final destination. You may also be refused entrance into the Schengen Zone if you are registered in the Schengen Information System (SIS), you may be considered a threat to public policy, internal security, public health, or international relations of any Schengen Member State.


    Declare the money

    If you enter or leave the European Union, you need to report to the customs service amounts equal to or greater than 10,000 EUR or its equivalent  in a foreign currency, shares, state bond, traveller’s cheques, etc. that you are bringing into or taking out of the European Union.


    Consequences of illegal stay


    Please be informed that extending your stay beyond the legal limits of your visa or non-visa travel, as well as changing the purpose of your stay contrary to the declared one exposes you to a series of consequences, including detention, criminal charges, expulsion, and ban on further travel to the Schengen Area countries. If you are invited by a Polish resident or an institution based in Poland, they may also be held liable for your offence.

    Print Print Share: